The King James Version

Posted by on 02/25/2014 in:

King James

One of the many free Bibles we’re able to offer as part of the Bible Study App is the historic, trusted, and reliable King James Version of the Bible.
Here’s a brief glimpse into the history of the KJV:

It is said that when William Tyndale (1494 to 1536) was burned at the stake for translating the New Testament into the English vernacular in 1526, his last words were, “Lord, open the eyes of the king!”

Shortly thereafter, the Bible was made available in English by royal decree; in 1604, 85 years after Tyndale’s work, King James I authorized a new translation of the whole Bible for use by the Church of England. The result was the King James Version, or KJV, of 1611: a work of profound gravity, careful scholarship, and surpassing literary quality that has influenced English language and literature for hundreds of years, has been preached from thousands of pulpits, has been quoted by countless writers, and has led millions to a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Though modern scholarship has led to revisions that strive for greater accuracy and readability (based both on a broader array of Greek texts and on gradual changes in English usage), the King James Version is still the source from which most literal English translations derive their inspiration.

For more information about the King James Version of the Bible checkout: A Visual History of the King James Bible

KJV related resources are on special this week. See them HERE!

• Rick says:

There was a documentary about Tyndale on the BBC last year (“The most dangerous man in Tudor England”) presented by the author & presenter Melvyn Bragg. He said that 85% of the KJV New Testament was Tyndale’s.

• Jeff Becker says:

Here! Here! for the “Authorized Version”-definitely the most magisterial. Everybody read by Adam Nicolson.

• Jeff Becker says:

I don’t know what happened to the title in my post:
    Thats by Adam Nicolson!

• Jeff Becker says:

God’s Secretaries (by KTL)

• JT says:

Hey, did you know that olive tree has limited support on various titles? What that means is that if you upgrade your platform (i.e. That new iPad) those titles you bought, and used with your old device, magically disappear…..ooooh. Already lost a few Greek titles with functionality. Weird, huh. You don’t expect books to have short life expectancies. But then why would you, IT’S A BOOK! But hey, no worries, you can always repurchase the title to go with you new device. Yeah…..

• Andrew says:

JT, I noticed you left this same comment on another post. I’ll reiterate what Monty said. Your books should always be available as your device changes. We have people who have been with us for 10+ years and have had access to their books through many device changes. If we can help you access your books please feel free to contact us at Thanks!

• Rick says:

I haven’t found that to be the case – all my stuff was there for me to re-download hen I moved from an ancient Windows phone to an Android tablet & when getting a new PC. Everything syncs between tablet & PC too. I can’t comment on what ma happen with Apple kit as I don’t own any.