Tips & Refreshers for The Bible Study App

Posted by on 06/20/2014 in: ,

Get-Started-Button If you’re new to The Bible Study App, you might be asking yourself “where do I start?”  Here’s Nine Quick Tips & Refreshers to get you started in The Bible Study App. (Screenshots taken from an iPad. Please note that icon graphics vary somewhat across devices). 1. The “Library” Button: This is where you can find all of the Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, and other resources you’ve downloaded to your devices.  You can choose from All, Recent, or Favorites.

2. “My Stuff” Suitcase Button is the central nervous system of The Bible Study App. Here you can find your notes, bookmarks, highlights, tags, reading plans, and the ever important Sync button at the bottom left.  If you haven’t already done so, Click here to create an Olive Tree Account.  I can’t go into great detail here, but there are enormous benefits to creating an Olive Tree Account.  It’s Free and will only take a minute to set up.

3.“History” Button:  Do you ever get three verses into a Bible study and want to refer back to a previous verse?  The History Button is the fastest way to refer back to a previous reference.  You can view by date or by title.

4. Settings Button is where you can quickly customize the type and size of your font.  For a more customized Bible Study App experience, you can then click the “Advanced Settings” for an array of other custom settings (social network, posting, custom iOS gestures, etc) within The Bible Study App.

5. Search Button: Search anything within the resource you are currently studying. In your Bible, you can even limit your search to the Old Testament, New Testament, or create a custom filter or range that you define.

6. Book Ribbons: Save your place in any resource with the Book Ribbon.  To find your place, tap the My Stuff button and then tap the Book Ribbons button.

ipad-split window button 7. The Split Window Button: You don’t have to switch back and forth to view different resources.  With the Split Window Button, you can view your Bible and your favorite commentary at the same time.  Also, our built in Resource Guide in the split window follows along, looking in your library for any information that is relevant to your reading. As you scroll or change scripture references the Resource Guide will stay in sync looking to all of your study resources making for a powerful and easy to use study tool.

8. The Sync option: I have a terrible memory, but thanks to The Bible Study App, I’m able to overcome it…mostly.  I do my daily Bible Reading in the App and Olive Tree’s Automatic Background Sync takes care of it.  This allows me to go into my other devices to access and keep up with my Reading Plan.  The Bible is able to sink into my daily life and I can refer back to that morning’s reading from wherever I am – on the go with my phone, on laptop at work, at coffee shops on my iPad, or at home on my desktop.  Because of the Bible Study App Sync function, all of my custom highlights, tags, and bookmarks are always readily available.  With Olive Tree’s Automatic Background Sync, I don’t have worry about whether or not my notes, highlights, bookmarks, and book ribbons are up to date.

9. Download The Bible Study App to every device you own.  I personally have an iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, Windows Laptop, and Windows desktop.  The advantage to having the App on your devices is that with an Olive Tree Account (have you created one yet?) you can access your entire library from wherever you study the Bible. Obviously, I’m a big fan of the form and function of the Olive Tree Bible Study App.  What are your top features of The Bible Study App?  Where would you advise a new user to start? I would love your feedback.

Tags:

• Melodee says:

I really love the Reading Plans that sync with the Bible Study App. They really keep me on target and focused.

I am also a big fan of the split screen. When studying my Bible w/Strongs, I can easily reference my Ryrie study Bible as well. So I have two powerful resources right at my fingertips at any given time.

• Dipo says:

Thanks for the tips. This app is great and my no 1 app on my tablet. The challenge now is the note dialog box on the android system is small and unexpandable. I used to be able to make all my notes on my iPad but now that i have switched to Galaxy tab I am forced to make my notes elsewhere. Can the notes dialog box on the android system be upgraded so we can have full screen when we like so one can stay on the app and do everything including taking notes with the convenience of larger note screen. Thanks

• Monty says:

Hi Dipo,

We are working on our Android platform and hope to have many upgrades to it out this year. I can’t give you a timeframe at this moment, but we are working to improve the Android experience.

Blessings!

• Donna says:

I love this app! I think my favorite feature is the ability to “tag” verses with a keyword. When I’m feeling anxious, I am able to very quickly bring up a list of all the verses I have tagged with the word “anxious”. No more searching around through my handwritten notes or relying on my “not so good” memory! I also love being able to open the NIV study notes along side the NIV Bible as I am reading. It is so convenient to have all of my resources right there on the same screen.

• Daniel says:

I have version 5.9.6.16 updated on June 17 2014. Are you talking about a further revision?

I have another big problem with the App installed on my Windows Desktop. The app after it opens freezes. Sometimes the mouse displays the rotating circle icon and at other times, the mouse is normal, but nothing on the screen responds to the mouse click. Closing and restarting the app rarely improves the situation. More often than not, I have to restart my PC and then it works normal. Right now I am in the ‘mouse ok, but no response’ mode and am about to restart my PC.

Occasionally, it has also happened that the desktop and start menu icons when clicked, do nothing. The app doesn’t open at all. Again a restart of the PC resolves the issue.

Please advise.

Best Rgds

Daniel

• Monty says:

Hi Daniel,

Version 5.9.7 is now available for download on the iOS stores. This the update that was released yesterday (July 14).

For the issue with the Desktop app, please reach out to our support team at support@olivetree.com and they should be able to help you with this issue.

• Daniel says:

I installed 5.9.7 on my iPad. I was asked to redownload everything in my library,, which I tried to do. However, the following purchases that I had made in the past, are refusing to download, and they are:
        NIV 1984
        NIV
        ESV Strong’s Bible
        Letters to a Young Pastor
        Olive Tree Enhanced Strong’s Dictionary

There is a ‘Tap to Download’ link below each title. However, nothing happens when I tap. When I go to the store, I am being asked to BUY those!

Kindly restore the five titles mentioned above.

Rgds

Daniel

• Monty says:

Hi Daniel,

It sounds like you have titles that have been purchased in-app that are not registered to your account.

Try this:
          Please open the Bible Study App.
          Tap the library button.
          Tap the store button on the library popup.
          Tap the Purchased tab of the in-app Store.
          Log into your Olive Tree account if you aren’t signed in yet.
          Select “Restore In-App Purchases” at the bottom of the Purchased tab. This will prompt you for your Apple ID.
          You should now see the books populate below “My Account.” If this doesn’t happen, see the manual registration directions.

If this does not work. Please contact our support team and they should be able to help you with this problem.

Blessings!

• Daniel says:

I have done nearly everything that you proposed. The In_App Purchases shows only one item, i.e. NIV Study Bible Notes. I had already downloaded this and therefore it shows ‘Installed’. None of the five titles that I mentioned in my original post are shown there!

Please advise what you mean by ‘manual registration’.

Blessings!

Daniel

• Monty says:

Hi Daniel,

I apologize. I meant to include the manual part as well. However, our support team was able to locate the possible issue. Can you “kill the app” and then go back into your account to see if you can access your resources now? Please let me know if this does not work.

• Daniel says:

Hi Monty,

Yup! They are all there and they are all downloading now. Thanks.

I had mailed support@olivetree.com regarding my destktop issue and am still waiting for a response.

Blessings!

Daniel

• Daniel says:

There is one more issue, Monty, that I have encountered after the new version was installed. The font sizes in the Resource Guide area which I keep open in parallel, are bigger and I don’t know how this can be controlled by the user. On the left side pane (often the Bible pane) there is that ubiquitous A* button that allows me to do it. But not in the left pane. Any resource that I open in that pane comes with a larger font than it used to be and there is apparently no way to reduce the size.

Would you please resolve this one too.

Blessings!

Daniel

• Monty says:

Daniel,

Open the Olive Tree app and tap on the Settings icon (A*).
            Tap Advanced Settings.
            Tap Font Settings.
            Here you can adjust font sizes for all the different text areas in the app. Scroll down to the Resource Guide area within this page and you can adjust the font size there.

This article might also be helpful: http://www.olivetree.com/help/ios-updating-to-5-9/

• Daniel says:

Thanks and Rgds

Daniel

• Daniel says:

Correction. I meant “But not in the right pane”.

Daniel