Look Inside: ESV Greek-English Interlinear New Testament

Posted by on 07/21/2014 in: , ,

With our newest App update to iOS 5.9 we can now offer Interlinear Bibles!  What’s an interlinear Bible you ask?  An interlinear Bible typically is the Hebrew or Greek text of the Old or New Testament with a literal English translation between the lines of the original-language text.  This is an extremely helpful Bible Study tool, especially for those wanting to dig deeper into original Bible language studies.

Here’s a brief look inside the ESV Greek-English Interlinear New Testament. (Screenshots are taken from an iPad 2, click for a larger view)

IMG_1343

Not only can The Bible Study App display the text in an Interlinear format, we’ve tagged the Greek word with the Greek Parsing and Strong’s Definition: Simply tap a word to get more details on that Greek word.

IMG_1344

We’ve also tagged the English Word:

IMG_1345

And the Strong’s Number:

IMG_1346

Searching for this Greek word in the text? No problem. Tap search and The Bible Study App will bring you a list of results for that Greek Word:

IMG_1347

You can also tap “lookup” and The Bible Study App will find dictionaries already downloaded to your device that contain more information on this Greek word:

IMG_1348

You can also search the Greek word in the same form as the word you’ve tapped:

IMG_1349

Or, you can search for all Greek words in the same form as the word you’ve tapped:

IMG_1350

We’re really excited about the release of the Greek-Interlinears!  To celebrate their release, we’re offering great discounts on the ESV, NKJV, and KJV Greek-English Interlinear New Testament Bibles!

• Donald Keiffer says:

This is a great addition to my library, can’t wait to see it on my iPad. I’m looking at it on my iPod Touch even though I’m having a lot of problems with the 5.9.8.0 upgrade on my iPod.
    Again, the ESV interlinear looks great, thank you,
    Donald

• John E says:

The price is very steep
    When you do a look up on the MSS entry will you be able to search the Louw & Nida Lexicon
    John

• Monty says:

Hi John,

If you already have the ESV, NKJV, or KJV Strong’s Tagged Bible, or the NA28 Greek Text with Parsings, you will qualify for upgrade pricing on the corresponding products. I’m not sure what you mean by “MSS entry”. However, when you do the lookup (as shown in the blog post) and have the Louw & Nida downloaded on your device, it will show the Louw & Nida in the lookup. Does this answer your question?

• Lance Richey says:

Looking forward to this. How do you qualify for the upgrade pricing referenced. I own all of the references you indicated in your response. (ESV, KJV Strong’s Tagged bible and the NA28 Greek Text)

• Monty says:

Hi Lance,

The upgrade price will be visible when you log into your Olive Tree account and add the item to your cart.

• John E says:

Yes thanks that does answer it by “MSS” I mean the manuscript entry at the top from which I think the morphology is derived.
    Thanks john

• Jason says:

Been so looking forward to this. I want one. Unfortunately I can’t risk it. Already spent lots on books I can’t use anymore because app crashes every few minutes since update. Sent 3 in app help requests and diagnostics. No response. Don’t know what else to do.

• Monty says:

Jason,

I appreciate your concern. Please note that we are doing everything in our power to address these issues and our support team is working overtime to get to all of the support tickets. Thank you for your patience.

• Richard says:

Answer #4 was helpful.
    Wish the Greek was numbered for the order it was in the original.

• Monty says:

Hi Richard,

The Greek text on the first line of the Interlinear is in the original Greek word order of the Greek Bible text.

• neil says:

Will this app ever be available for Android devices?

• Terry says:

Evidently the iPad upgrade is buggy, crashing every 1-2 minutes. Can only imagine how you guys are scrambling. It must not affect everyone, or it would never made it out of testing.

I would suggest that someone answer user’s help requests, even to just let us know that you guys are working on it and will let us know as soon as you can what’s up. Not getting any response to tech support requests ( been over 3 days now) is a bit hard.

Please let me know if I can be of any help.

• Monty says:

Terry,

Thank you for your patience. Our support team is working hard to answer all of the support tickets as fast as they can. Yes, we are working to address the issues. However, we are finding that less than 1% of our users are experiencing major issues.

• Richard says:

On #7, never mind. I get what you have done.

• Troy Mullens says:

Works great..worth the wait.
    God bless,
    Troy

• Dustin Cole says:

Hi! Love the app and the new update. I’m just wondering if users will be able to create custom reading plans anytime soon? I love the reading plan functionality but can’t find a reading plan at my pace. Thanks!

• Greg Tassone says:

Just a quick note of thanks:
    I have been waiting patiently for these Interlinear Bibles to be released for many months now. Now that I have my hands on one I can say it was well-worth the wait. I’m getting the flexibility of reading the full Greek NT alongside word-for-word equivalence with an English translation (as much as possible; using ESV in this case). What a fantastic tool! The embedded parsings are also very useful.

The work that went into this must have been extensive. Please pass along my thanks to the whole team.

• Monty says:

Hi Greg!

We’re glad you’re enjoying the the Interlinears! Thank you so much for your kinds words and support.

• Greg Tassone says:

P.S. For those recent upgrading and having trouble:

Be patient and follow the steps on the upgrade page:

Pay particular attention to the instructions about leaving your Olive Tree app open/running for an extended time after upgrading… the reason it might appear “slower” is because many things are being updated in the background. Once it finishes, things get much better.

I’ve been using the 5.9 versions since April and don’t have a single problem anymore.

• Ken says:

I enjoy the interlinear KJV, but I sure am struggling with the rest of the app since upgrading.
    I’ve followed the upgrade steps, re-loaded all my books, synced, left the app open on wifi all day, but text jumps around, hyperlinks in my notes rarely work, selecting text is random, go to verses or putting a verse at the top of the page often puts the first line on the previous page, scrolling hesitates and sometimes results in large blank areas, highlights take a second to appear etc.
    I hope there’s something I’m missing or can do!

• Terry says:

I have also had many of these problems with putting verse at top of page, rewriting of screens multiple times, syncing between main frame and secondary frame being off, etc. OliveTree did all the syncing for me (because of the crashing every two minute problem I had), the crashing seems to be gone, but these other problems seem to be still hanging around.

Btw, love how much easier it is to select verse numbers, cross reference numbers, and note numbers now! Much improved!

• Monty says:

Hi Terry,

I’m glad we were able to help you with your sync issues. Thank you for your feedback! Please let our support team know if there is anything else we can help with.

• Monty says:

Hi Ken,

We do apologize that you are having these issues. If you haven’t already done so, please reach out to our support team at support@olivetree.com. They will be able to assist you with any issues you are having.

• Ken says:

Hi Monty,
        I did enter a few problem tickets till I realised it wasn’t just me and you guys were swamped.
        Any idea on a fix date?

• Monty says:

Hi Ken,

We’re working on the fixes now. We hope to have an update out in iTunes soon. I don’t have an exact release date yet. We’ll definitely announce it on all our channels when it’s ready to go.

Thank you for your patience.