Important Notice Regarding Nook, Blackberry, Symbian, Palm and Windows Classic Mobile

Posted by on 04/24/2015 in: ,

pileofphonesTechnology has come a long way in the last 20 years. I can remember how excited I was when I got my first Palm Pilot that had a 32 MB SD card and two AA batteries that were not rechargeable. The anxiety of having to remember to sync before I lost power was immeasurable!

As technology changes, we have to make changes. We’re living in a world of rapid growth in personal computing and personal devices like we’ve never seen before. With those changes, it is becoming increasingly difficult to support the many devices and platforms from the past, present, and the future.

In order to best serve our customers on current and future devices, we had to make the tough decision to end service for certain devices. As of June 1, 2015, we will pull down the apps for the following devices and no longer support the download of PDB titles for the following platforms:

Nook (Original Nook Color) Click here for more specific information on this specific device.

Blackberry

Symbian 60-5

Palm

Windows Classic Mobile (Pocket PC)

What does this mean for me?

If you are on one of these platforms, please download your apps, titles and books files to your data cards and storage devices and keep them in a safe place. After June 1, 2015, you won’t be able to download those titles to your device again.

We will no longer fix text bugs found in these resources on these platforms or offer support or trouble-shooting problems for apps or resources on these devices.

In 2014, we introduced our 5.9 update to our Bible Study App software. Under the hood, we began the switch from Palm Database Files (PDBs) to utilize modern Electronic Publication File technology. This change in file format makes it possible to display text in unique and exciting ways that we were never able to before. It also allows us to offer more titles in the Olive Tree Store on OliveTree.com. In just the past year, we’ve introduced Greek Interlinears, Gospel Harmonies, in-line text display, in-line graphic display, and literally hundreds of new eBooks (have you checked our new release category lately?).

As difficult as this decision was to make, it will allow us to focus on currently supported platforms and to plan for the future. Got questions? Read here for more in depth information.

• troopdude says:

I bought and invested in Olive Tree because it offered and supported the app for Blackberry. I already had many resources in Logos which did not and does not offer and support a Blackberry app. I understand the decision, but I don’t have to like it. I still have my PC. Olive Tree does have a great app.

• Bruce Rowe says:

I want to applaud for the great service you have provided me for these past 15 years and for the ‘freedom’ that I have had to move from one platform to another without having to re-buy the same digital product (again). You have gone out of your way to enable us to make these moves as we saw the need to move to a more robust platform. I have never felt as though your decisions were based upon “How to make more money” but rather “How can we utilize our resource people to provide the best tools to our readers and people of God!

Thank you!

• Steve says:

Are you still servicing the Android platform? It has been well over a year since any update of any kind has been made available. That would be ok if the app worked well, but it doesn’t. I’ve been filing complaints with the support department for over a year and all I ever get are polite apologies and promises that a major update is coming out “in a couple of months”. Really? How many times can you tell someone that before they figure out it’s a smoke screen! Are you really working on a “major update”? There is really only one way to prove this claim – that is to actually release a “major update”.

Hoping for the best from Olivetree after all these months,
    Steve

• Monty says:

Hi Steve,
      Yes! We are still supporting Android. Our developers are hard at work on a major update for the Android platform. We expect it to come out in the next 2-3 months.

• Dan lemley says:

Does this mean one day my IPAD app will not work if the technology continues to change? And does this mean my resources will be obsolete?

• Monty says:

Hi Dan,
      We will continue to support iPad. We will send notices like these if anything specific happens to platforms.

• Tom says:

Do you support the Nook Hd with new version of olive tree plus? I am using the olive tree app from Barnes& Noble older version all is workin but cannot upgrade or get to store from app. The nook hd is an Android tablet version 4. Appreciate help to get newer version to work. I tryed new version but found it very slow with hangups.
    Tom

• LaRosa Johnson says:

Tom, we no longer support the Nook HD. The only Android based tablets we support at this time are those that utilize either the Amazon Marketplace or the Google Play Store.

• Tom says:

The Nook hd does utilize Google play store and is Androd 4.
        I downloaded olive tree latest app from play store and all seems to be operating much smoothly then afew months ago. I was then able to setup and sync my books and settings . I had a little problem with the reading plans when moving from book to book, slow response at end of each book, sometimes get a message to wait or close olive tree. Any way to remedy this?
        Appreciate the help with this.
        Online support does not refer to this problem.
        Other than that I find a much improved app.
        Tom
        One other question is will olive tree run much better if I enable sdcard under advance settings – storage mode also should the cache be cleared how often?