iOS Bible+ 6 FAQs

Posted by on 10/26/2015 in:

bible-study

Bible+ 6 for iOS has garnered lots of praise since its release last week. But, it hasn’t been without its pain points, which is expected with any big software update. Settings got moved around, functionality was removed and added, and so on. Today we want to address some of the top issues that have been reported by you, our users.

No More History Button?

Yes, the history button is gone. This was an intentional design decision on our part in favor of having a cleaner & more user friendly header. Many of you used the history button as a quick access feature, which is now a multi-step process through the menu. Even though the button is gone, there is still some good news. You can setup a gesture to easily access your history. To set the gesture, follow these steps:

1. Tap the Menu icon
  2. Select “App Settings”
  3. Select “Gestures/Shortcuts”
  4. Choose the actions you would like to use (if not already used, “2 finger tap” works well for this)

Where’d the Bookshelf Go?

This is another item that went away with our new design update. Why? The bookshelf was based on skeuomorphic design, which was popular a few years ago. When iOS 7 released, Apple replaced skeuomorphic design in favor of simplified design elements. We also removed the bookshelf as a means of simplifying the app’s functionality. If you’re looking for an easy way to use your favorite & most-used books, we recommend using the Favorites section of the library view. You can put your most-used resources here, and use “Manage Favorites” to organize them however you would like. These favorites also sync across devices, so you only need to set them once.

How Do I Change the Split Window Font Size?

In our what’s new blog we highlighted how to quickly change the font size. As a lot of you noticed, this only applies to the main window. Here’s how to change the font size elsewhere in the app:

1. Tap the Menu icon
  2. Select “App Settings”
  3. Select “Fonts”
  4. Choose the font size for the different sections of the app

What Happened to Evernote Sync?

Evernote Sync never quite worked the way we envisioned it. It worked well for some users, but for others it was nothing but a headache to get working. With Bible+ 6 we made the decision to stop using the old Evernote sync system. In its place, Bible+ 6 now implements the native iOS share functionality. You can use this to export/share a note to Evernote, your social media accounts, email, or any other connected app. Even though the export of notes no longer happens automatically, we find this functionality gives you more control and doesn’t limit you to just using Evernote.

Here are the steps to share a note to Evernote (or any other app):

1. Create a note by tapping on a verse number or selecting text
  2. After you’ve added content to the note, tap the Settings icon in the upper right corner of the “Edit Note” box
  3. Tap “Share” from the bottom of the list and choose Evernote (or the app you want to share to)

Please note that you must have the Evernote app downloaded on your device for this option to work. Keep in mind that you won’t be able to sync your notes from Evernote back to Bible+.

Where Did My Menu & Icons Go?

Bible+ has a toggle in the app to enable distraction-free reading, which hides the icons and menu. This feature has been in the app for quite a while but it is more noticeable with this update. Fret not, this is not a bug. To re-enable the menu at any time all you have to do is single tap the screen (preferably somewhere without text). If you want to enter distraction-free reading mode again just single tap.

• John Lorch says:

When searching for a verse, and the books are listed alphabetically, i don’t have the ability to go quickly to a particular letter of the alphabet. Instead, i have to scan through the whole list to find the book i want. I really miss this feature.

• Andrew Osakue says:

Mine is sad experience. After the update, it worked for 3 days and failed to open. As I writing this I feel so sad because the olive tree bible study app has become every thing to me. I have several daily devotionals that I can’t assess. Can I get back the previous version?

• Anthony Johnson says:

A Feature that i used religiously:
    while in the split view looking at my notes, I was able to hit a button and my notes would expand to the full size of the screen…
    one of the Main reasons for using this software!!!!

• Sandy says:

My husband used this feature religiously as well. He used his Notes while preaching. Now that he can’t get them to expand, they are pretty much useless. I really hope they correct this vital feature.

• LaRosa Johnson says:

Sandy, we plan to return the ability to make notes full screen in a future update.

• Anthony Johnson says:

Sandy, thats what i use the notes for. I preach from my notes and that is why i have stuck with OliveTree for so long!! I really do pray that it will be sooner than Later….

in the mean time, I really need to look into an alternative for now.. to import my sermons over and be able to preach from my iPad????
        maybe Documents to Go? I don’t know. I have spent out so much money already on resources through Olive Tree….. Something i have got to pray on!! For Real!!!! Please Tell your husband Good Luck and if he has found a work around, I really would love to know.. Thank you and Blessings.

Sandy:

Sandy:

Sandy:

• Arend says:

I use a reading plan for my daily readings. It takes me four (4) taps to go from a passage back to my favorite Bible reading plan for today. Is there a way to create a shortcut to the latest position in my reading plan?

• LaRosa Johnson says:

Not at this time, but we are exploring ideas for making reading plans easier to access.

• Arend says:

I hope you’ll make this a priority, although looking at the number of other suggestions (or complaints), you have your hands full for a while …

• Douglas Franks says:

Response to Comment #5 by Arend

If you set up gestures for History Back and History Forward, it’s easy to move around. These gestures give me trouble on my iPad2 with the new update, but they worked great before to get from the Bible text back to the reading plan (I do M’Cheynes daily, so there’s lots of back-and-forth). I use two finger swipe as the gesture–right for History Back and left for History Forward. I suspect a newer device will work better than it works on my iPad2, so you might give this a try.

• Douglas Franks says:

I’m having trouble with the history gesture that I have used for years on my iPad2 (two finger swipe left or right). For some reason it has become very difficult to make it work. Most of the time it simply turns the page forward or backward. I’ll try the suggestion for the two finger tap, but I sure hope you can get the two finger swipe working better on an iPad2.

I’d also like to see a line spacing option. I like the default font, but the line spacing is a bit too much.

By the way, thanks much for carrying forward the settings with this update.

• Linda Edwards says:

I’m having difficulties with this new system. After using the Bible for several moments (and going to various verses), I find that the Menu and other icons disappear from the top. I can still tap on the verse location at the top to change verses, but I can no longer change Bible versions or go to another book or to the library or bring up the resource guide or do anything except go to another Bible verse of the same version. The only way I’ve found to get the icons back is to exit out of Olive Tree completely then go back in. This is very frustrating.

• LaRosa Johnson says:

Linda, the menu & icons disappearing is a toggle for distraction-free reading. You can re-enable them at any time with a single tap on the screen.

• Alex says:

I’m sorry, but I think this version 6 update is awful. I’m glad I tried it out first on a computer I don’t care about rather than on one I use seriously.

Quite apart from now looking ugly and bland and harsh, you have removed critical functionality or hidden it stupidly. Why oh why did you decide to make notes less functional? It is one of the critical pieces of the app and hid the categories, tags and icons behind a stupid cog menu (where I – eventually – found them) instead of having them neatly at the bottom of every note.

The old skeuomorphic design was great, functional and useful. I wish you hadn’t followed the crowd and abandoned it without considering, perhaps, what impact it would have on your customers.

This is the first time I’ve ever been genuinely disappointed by Olive Tree, and I really hope I never end up being forced to upgrade to it.

• Jonathan Williams says:

Thankyou for this info rechanges – the tip about gestures is great and works well. It’s sad about Evernote but the share facility does the job.
    Does anyone else lose sight of the top icons when using the bible? Main menus etc disappears on some occasions! Bugs eh!!

• LaRosa Johnson says:

The menu disappearing is a quick toggle for distraction-free reading (I’ll add this to the FAQ). You can re-enable this at any time with a single tap on the screen.

• Keren says:

I prefer to read a black letter Bible and so turn off the words of Christ in red….however this is not possible in the new low light option. Hopefully this can be added in a future update.

• Mike marsden says:

When selecting a reference letter from a verse, it doesn’t go direct to the letter, rather it goes to the beginning and you have to scroll down for it. Is this a bug?

• Dennis says:

The font color used in the menu(s) is so close to the color of the background of the menu(s) that it is difficult to read regardless of the brightness of the device.

• Don Ossman says:

If the only reason for taking away the History Button was for, as you said, a cleaner & more user friendly header, then I say bring it back.

• Beth says:

First, I want to say that I have really enjoyed using Bible+ daily for years and have many friends and family members using it because of my recommendation. However, this update changes the whole look, feel and function of a tool that I rely on constantly throughout my day!

The font size of the verse references in the search window and resources is way too small and the color too light with not enough contrast with the background color to be able to read the numbers, especially on the phone screen. I have tried changing the font face, font size, font color, background color, etc. but nothing seems to be able to change these references to make them readable!

I don’t like the harsh look of the new version, or the grayed colors, including highlighters, instead of the clear bright happy colors, or the lack of functionality such as the easy way I can access history, and particularly on the iPad, being able to use a note (my stuff icon) or search popup while still having the scripture text readable instead of completely grayed out into the background. These issues make the new version less appealing and very frustrating!

I do want to thank Olive Tree for the great support whenever we have had glitches with the apps. You all are great!

My husband upgraded to version 6 which I tried out, but I want to keep the previous version which is very readable and visually appealing!
    So, how do I keep from having to upgrade to version 6?

• Alex2131 says:

As a graphic designer I really feel your pain, so much effort in this new design and hearing so many different users POV. But then as a user I can also understand what they mean and feel.
    I really like the new UI layout, I was so worry it would follow the IOS 8 all white ugliness, but Praise the Lord it didn’t.

One thing the developers might want to consider and could be very helpfull is to add in the settings menu the option to toggle on or off whatever feature the user wish to see at the top bar, like a costumization option, this way if someone prefer to have the History button just activate it in this settings as with any other option like text or notes resize.

One thing I want to add is that this version somehow is running faster than the previous on my good old iPad2 and thats good news for me.

• Mike says:

I had previously reported that with v6, the “Go To” screen does not have the compact list. Today I got it back. The bug is that the “App Settings” option for “Go To” is ignored. The only way to get the compact list is to tap the gear in the upper right on the “Choose Book” screen within “Go To”. Selecting the Compact Grid Layout there works.

• Donald Keiffer says:

I totaly agree with messages 15, 24, & 26 and am glad I tried it first with my old iPad, I am sticking with v5.9 on my new iPad until all of the problems are fixed related to messages 15, 24, & 26, if they ever are, otherwise I guess I will be using v5.9 for the rest of my life. And when I am told my book/bible updates wont work anymore in v5.9 I guess I wont be buying anymore books/bibles, just use what I have in the old v5.9 in my opinion being the last good version of Bible+.
    Sorry to be so critical but that is just the way I feel and would be willing to speak to anyone on the development team that would be willing to call me.
    Thank you for listening.

• Anthony Johnson says:

I am wondering, is there is any way of being able to download the earlier version of Olive Tree for the Ipad and Iphone???? the feature that i love to use and made the software well worth investing in is now gone, which is the Notes Resizing to full screen. I used that when preaching. it was an essential tool for me!

plus there are other features as well that i use but that feature is the one that makes my job tough now…..

Am i able to revert back to the old Version of this software????
    Thank you.

• LaRosa Johnson says:

Anthony, unfortunately there is no way to roll back to the previous version of our app. The ability to make notes full screen will return in a future update.

• Donald Keiffer says:

Hello Anthony,
      There is a way if you have not backed up your devices to your computer yet.
      Your computer has the previous version on it that you backed up but it may not be 5.9, it will be the last version you were using the last time you backed up your iPad or Iphone onto your computer. This is why it is good to back up your device before you download a new version of Bible+ so you can revert back to the previous version.
      I think you have to delete v.6 from your device before you do the sync with your computer and before you delete from your device you have to do a sync to your OliveTree account so you do not loose all your data and library.

• Lemuel Harris says:

I wonder if I’m the only one that has noticed this, but when downloaded Olivetree for my iPad a few years ago, when I copied multiple verses they would remain grouped together when pasted to a document. This was great when you pasted them to an outline. However, now the passages are on multiple lines which forces the outline to add unnecessary numbering. I wish the copy/paste feature would revert back to the way it was a few versions ago. Also, I am hoping for an update that would take advantage of the split view feature on my iPad Pro.

• J. B. Ellis says:

With all due respect and appreciation to OliveTree
    I have to say that the new update has been a disaster for me. Among many frustrations is the fact that I quote from different versions of the Bible.
    Now when I try to copy and paste to my notes it does note copy the version nor does it copy the verse numbers for multiple verses. I have to manually type these in. VERY time consuming. Please bring back v5.9. It was for me the perfect Zonked program.

• LaRosa Johnson says:

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with the app. There is good news, though. You can make sure your copied verses include the translation & verse numbers. You can turn both of these on by going to “App Settings -> Copy Verse Options”

• J. B. Ellis says:

Thank you!! This was a relief and a tremendous help!

By the way, I don’t know where the word “Zonked” came from in my previous post.
        I corrected it twice to read “Bible” and it still
        auto corrected to “Zonked”!???

• Richer says:

I cannot find the “app Setting” on macbook Pro?? I am only able to copy the translation and Verse NUMBER, but not the verse reference. The older version allowed me to copy all of that plus I could decide where it would post at the beginning or at the end, what happened?

• Raymond says:

The copy verse options works, but only if you copy one verse. How can I copy a couple of verses and have the reference and translation included, like in the previous version of the app?