Important Notice Regarding the Bible+ Windows Store App

Posted by on 04/04/2016 in:

The mission of Olive Tree Bible Software is to inspire people to connect with God and the Bible via technology. Since our beginning as a company we’ve been blessed to carry out this mission and see God’s word being read and studied all around the world. While technology has changed our mission has remained the same and by God’s grace we’ll continue to carry out this mission for many years to come.

We love to hear from people around the globe who have been with us through the many iterations of our App and advances in technology. Many of you found us while looking for a Bible for your very first handheld mobile device and as you moved from device to device your Olive Tree notes, highlights, and Bible study resources have moved with you.

In order for us to continue to fulfill our mission we sometimes have to adapt to the changing market of technology to best focus our software development resources to serve the widest range of people.

It’s with this in mind that we wanted to let you know we will no longer be supporting the Windows Store App (different than our Windows Desktop App).

startScreen

What does this mean?

• As of today there will be no further updates to the Windows Store App
  • Starting May 2 it will no longer be available to download from the Windows Store

What can I do?

-> Make sure that you have an account with us. This ensures that your notes, highlights, bookmarks, and all of your purchased resources can be used on our other platforms such as PC, Mac, Android, iOS, and Kindle.

-> If you have a PC, Mac, Android, iOS or Kindle Fire device, download our App and with an account you can still use the same great tools you’ve been accustomed to on the Windows App version. Simply download it (HERE) and login with your account.

Our Windows Desktop App runs on any Microsoft Surface Pro and if you are logged in with your account you’ll be able to access all of your books and custom annotations. Click HERE to download the Windows Desktop App now.

While we understand this may be a painful transition we appreciate your understanding and hope to continue to provide a great Bible study experience for many more years to come! If you have any further questions or need assistance in this transition please contact our support team.

• Luke says:

Do you have any time frames for updating the desktop apps yet?
    I’m mainly thinking the mac one as thats what I use.

• William says:

Shocking decision. Utterly without excuse really with the iOS bridge and other tools readily available to develop universal Windows apps.

I will be taking my custom else where.

• Kevin James says:

This is disappointing news. Yes, the desktop version runs on the Surface Pro, but it’s interface is not optimized for working in Tablet mode which is how I prefer to sit and read the Bible on my Surface. I hope desktops UI will be updated to make it easier to use in Tablet mode.

• steve says:

Completely understandable.

And really, no problem since Win 10 and the store doesn’t look like it has that much traffic yet (per numbers I’ve seen.

• Mike Proctor says:

Another reason I don’t care for Microsoft. The android app is great.

• RW says:

Exactly… Microsoft doesn’t care about the end users, only their profits are taken into consideration when they charge platforms like this.

• Charlie slexander says:

What is the reason for this?
    Considering Windows 10 is getting on more and more Computers.

Something Microsoft is doing?

• Andrew F. says:

Charlie,
      As mentioned in the blog, our Windows Desktop App still works on Windows 10. It’s our Windows Store App that we are discontinuing.

• Charlie Alexander says:

Understand that – and I use the desktop one.

I just wondered why you are not continuing with the Windows Store App store/tablet version.

Anyway thanks for a Great Program and resources.
        I am getting quite a collection/library built up

• Tomas says:

Android app gave up on me on my phone, just bought win10 tablet to have access to my library and now you are giving up the app? Desktop app keeps crashing. What app should I use next? How can I convert all the books into different softaware, best would be some free one. I am not bying anymore. This is exactly how it not should work.

• Andrew F. says:

Tomas,
      Have you tried the latest versions of either our Android or PC app? If so and you are still having issues please reach out to our support team at support@olivetree.com and we can trouble shoot for you.

• Cyril Georgeson says:

I’ve had a problem with the app on android (tablet). Reported in Nov 15. No bug resolution yet after 5 months…. Just ‘try and see if it works’ each time I check… 🙁
        ? ? ?
        Other app developers resolve issues in less than a week … A month max…

• John says:

Very disappointed. I was really hoping you all would build a universal app so I could have it on phone as well. The desktop app is just not very optimized for touch. is this just a resource issue or is there something missing from the Windows platform?

• Andrew F. says:

John,
      We certainly understand your disappointment. For us it’s a resource issue as we have to focus our development on the most used platforms.

• Bruno says:

Why don’t you convert the Windows desktop app to UWP app for Windows 10 then you get the best of both worlds an app suitable for touch and desktop?

• Josh says:

Its unfortunate to hear this. I use the Windows store so every Sunday on my surface 3 in combination with OneNote. Now with the universal apps I could use this on all my PCs and Xbox. It appears short sided. At least you should open source it and let those of us interested contribute.

• Andrew P. says:

One of my favorite features in the Store app is the borderless full-screen reading – it’d be great to see that in the desktop version!

• Douglas Jenkins says:

I’d still love to try a Linux version.
    Even MS is moving to use Linux. when will Olive Tree?

• Annette Graham says:

I just wanted to let you know that I am a bit disappointed to hear this. I have used your apps for many years, starting with my first pda. I currently use an ipad and, of course, your app is wonderful. However, I have a 7″ Windows tablet and the desktop program is not very useful on that because it is not touch friendly. I am considering moving away from my ipad and going with a Surface to replace my laptop and tablet. I know Microsoft is behind in touch centered operation, but I believe that is the way they are moving. Please consider adding touch friendly features to you Windows program.

• Jerry says:

Add me to the list of disappointed users. As others have said, desktop mode is not optimum when using the Surface Pro in tablet mode. There has been no response to the suggestions to use a universal app so you could do both with the same amount of resources.

• Gwen says:

I, too, am disappointed. I’ve been using the app on my Surface Pro and have been very pleased with the ease of use and the vast differences between Olive Tree and another program I had been using. Not all of us are Apple users with iPads, etc. and although my phone is Android based, all my other devices are Windows based. Please reconsider!

• Glyn says:

Also very disappointed. I use the desktop program on my Surface Pro and desktop computer as well as the app on my Surface and smaller Win 10 tablet. Was really looking forward to the app being adapted for use on my Win 10 phone. Agree with one of the other comments above that it is much easier to read on a tablet than the desktop program.

• Tunde Fajimi says:

I understand the resource situation and can appreciate the challenges of developing for multiple platforms.

I think there are two things you can consider doing:

1. Convert one of your well-designed Android or iOS apps to a Windows 10 UWP app, rather than start from scratch (Microsoft has worked to provide the best industry tools to do this as easily as possible).

2. Try to optimize your current Windows PC/desktop app for multiple screen sizes and some level of touch input. (A lot of people read on touch-screen devices).

You really do have the best Bible app out there (that I’ve used) and your commitment is commendable.

God bless you.

• George says:

If seems irresponsible to me to create a market for something that ties the end user to you and then back out on them because you can’t our won’t fix the problems associated with that market. I understand that you need to focus development on the other most-used apps, and this makes me happy because I’ve complained endlessly to your support team about issues with the Windows desktop and Android versions. It’s a huge sign that something is seriously amiss with your development team if all the apps have critical issues that can’t be resolved, and that has been my experience up to this point even with the platforms I use. As a loyal customer who has spent over $500 on resources I’m quite concerned but hopeful about this decision. A mixed bag of emotions for sure.

• Barry says:

I too will be moving from iPad to surface pro and would like to use all the advantages of a tablet based app for all the resources I purchased. I would ask you to reconsider this move.

Barry

• Georges says:

I am very disapointed too. You say that you have to focus your development on the most used platform, and I understand it. But I also know that Microsoft has provided all kind of tools to make it easy to port existing code from iOS and Android to its platform, even providing since last week a free environment (Xamarin) to have one codebase for the three platforms. You could benefit from this.
    Would you please reconsider your decision, since as many have stated before, the touch version of Bible+ for Windows is handier to use on tablets.

Thanks in advance.

• Micah says:

This is sad to hear. I was planning on buying a Surface 3 (which runs on Windows 10) and I was looking forward to using the app on it. Too bad that the desktop program, from what I hear, doesn’t perform so well in a tablet environment. I know so many people who use windows phones and tablets. I really wish you will reconsider other alternatives than terminating the whole windows app. Olive tree is really great and I think it should be available for all kinds of people and devices.
    Thanks
    Micah

• Micah says:

Bye the way, there seems to be a lot of people buying windows tablets these days. Microsoft and others have put out some really good windows based all-in-one tablets. The market certainly is growing. Please reconsider.

• Jacqueline Meinhold says:

I know just enough to be dangerous on my iPad, so does this mean that this will not work on my iPad ?? Sorry I am kinda dumb to computers. Can some one explain if my olive tree bible will still work on my iPad?? Please?
    Jackie M.

• Chris C. says:

275 million Windows 10 users is a lot of people. Would you at least consider making the desktop app more touch friendly? Also, if you’ve been paying attention to the Microsoft app bridges you could easily use Project Centennial to convert the desktop app into a UWP Windows Store app and would even gain a live tile. Would you at least consider doing that? Please answer.

• Glyn says:

Yes please reply. It is definitely time to reconsider, and I’m sure that if you approached Microsoft they would have the tools you need or be willing to help you develop the app, one app that would be usable on Win 10 desktops, tablets and phones. I use OliveTree virtually every day, and have 67 items in my library, including various expensive collections, and want to be able to use them on all my devices. I have spent numerous hundreds of dollars, but I’m much less willing to now, because I am not convinced I will have ongoing use of this library into the future.

• Andrew F. says:

Glyn,
        We’d love to have Microsoft develop our app for us. 🙂
        In all seriousness our PC App still runs great on Windows 10 and on Surface Pro. You won’t lose access to any of your resources. Thank you for your feedback!

• Glyn says:

Hi Andrew,
          I am not convinced. The PC App runs fine on a desktop (with some bugs) but is not good on a Surface Pro, particularly when you are using it as a tablet. It is just not suited to a touch screen environment. It doesn’t run at all on Windows 10 phone. I am now unlikely to buy any more books for my library until it is more suited to my needs, I’m not even reading the “specials” e-mails you send out.
          I can’t understand why you are putting virtually all your effort into Android and I-pad, I have owned both, which is why I use Windows! It would be difficult to do any “serious” study on either.

• Andrew F. says:

Chris,
      Our PC App runs on Windows 10 and Surface Pro. We are looking into Project Centennial and some of the technology that Windows is releasing later this year.

• Chris C. says:

That’s good to hear at least. Are you guys looking at more the Project Centennial bridge for the desktop app or the Project Islandwood (Windows Bridge for iOS) bridge to port your iOS app? Obviously the Centennial bridge would be less work since you already have a functioning desktop app but the Islandwood bridge would allow for an app that can run on both desktop, mobile, Xbox, and HoloLens. Either would probably be a good choice. You definitely need some sort of store app though because it improves visibility of your product, which is a good one.

• Andrew F. says:

We’re actually looking at both. As you know technology changes quickly and so we’re trying to invest out development time as wisely as we can.

• T Lee says:

Your Windows desktop version is buggy and keeps crashing even now.. The iOS and Android versions are great for on the fly reference and reading, but not for making in-depth notes and markups etc during bible-study, which the Windows desktop version is well-suited for.

Windows 10 tablets/convertibles is replacing desktops/notebooks. I don’t care much for the Windows app, but please improve the desktop version. Improve it a lot.

• Dan./ says:

Please don’t leave us Windows Store users behind, especially now you can simply port your IOS version over with hardly any effort.

By the way Windows 10 is fastest growing OS for PC ever…

• Andrew F. says:

Dan, we’re definitely looking into the possibility of porting it over in the future. In the meantime our PC App will run on Windows 10.

• Georges says:

Great to read that!
        I really hope that you decide to port the app, hopefully this year ? Having it across all the Windows devices would be wonderful.

May the Lord assist you, Bible+ is really helpful.

Georges

• Dannfort says:

My vote is to make a UWP Universal Windows Platform Program that can run in continuum in Windows 10 Mobile and desktop having then a Windows Phone app as well as a desktop app. Apparently you don’t realize how many people who invest in your software use it in Windows? I have never been a fan of the Windows desktop program because of how it works. I am sure you could do better.

• Allyn says:

I am heavily invested in Windows in all it’s forms. And really try not to support platforms that don’t support that environment, especially Windows 10’s App store. I was considering more purchases from you but that would be from the Windows App store. You’ve just negated that. This may sound harsh, but I vote with my feet.

• Andreas Hügin says:

On my current device (iPhone) I often use the Olive Tree App. Now I would like to buy a smartphone with Windows 10 Mobile. But I don’t want to do that without your app. A Windows Universal App would be great. Please.

• Julian says:

Olive Tree, are you there? Are you listening?

I have a Surface Pro 4. (Surface Pro 4, a highly reviewed, nice computer) Yes, you are correct. The desktop version does allow me to access and read my Olive Tree content, but not without flaws. Why am I forced to permanently view the sidebar to the left of the reading pane? If I am able to hide this sidebar, why has it been impossible for me to find where to change this setting?

Why does my reading pane periodically go blank (no words, just background) and then the words reappear but not at my exact reading location? Why?

But even more confusing, why does my Android version on my cheap phone work flawlessly? My Surface Pro 4 with the desktop program glitches, but my el cheapo Android is flawless.

My Surface is nearly the same dimensions as an 8.5×11 sheet of paper. When I read articles or books, such as the Bible, I orient the Surface like you would do with an 8.5×11 sheet of paper, portrait orientation. Olive Tree, if you were to print to 8.5×11 paper, do you do it in landscape or portrait? Doesn’t matter to me. You should have the option to do as you wish. Why are you forcing us Surface users to have a poor experience, especially in portrait orientation? Why do Apple and Android users get the goods, and we Windows users get the boot?

Please, please make the Windows version tablet friendly.

• Julian says:

Dear Olive Tree,

A wise man listens to advice.

You have had several people in the comments above offer to help you fix this problem because you mentioned lack of resources. Why don’t you want their help? Intellectual property concerns? Well, then sign them on as contractors, pro bono of course, have them sign a nondisclosure/noncompete, and accept their help. Why do you refuse?

Please fix the problem.

• Jim says:

I wish I had read this before May 2, 2016… I have a Surface Pro 3 and love it, but I gave up on the Olive Tree Windows Store app for a while. I finally decided tonight to see if the latest updates fixed the reasons I stopped using the app, only to find the final version released is now scrubbed so I cannot even try it. My last update was in late 2014, and it doesn’t even work right in Windows 10. And I guess if I’m content with what I have, the next time I need to download it I’ll be out of luck. Not even leaving up a legacy release is really disappointing, and to say the least is very surprising.

Yes, the desktop version works, but it is awkward in a Bible study trying to navigate a desktop app with a finger. I can do that very quickly with my iPhone, so I guess I might have to stick with that.

Are there any plans to make the Windows desktop app more touch friendly? I actually prefer it being out of the store where I can save the installer, but I need it to behave well without a mouse or keyboard. The current desktop app will not even pop up the Windows on-screen keyboard when I tap on the “Enter verse or topic” box. This really is a mouse/keyboard desktop app, even if it technically opens on my Surface. I also found the performance to be poor with Strongs lookups and even had one crash already.

Complaints aside, I really do like your reading experience. I hope the Windows platform will get some more attention soon. The iOS app is and always has been great.

• Monty Galloway says:

Hi Jim,

At this time we do not have any plans to make the windows desktop app more mobile friendly.

• Gnat says:

That’s a bit disappointing. I was considering buying a Windows 2-in-1 tablet for the train but I may have to reconsider. Has there been any further progress on porting using the Desktop/iOS to UWP bridges?

• Monty Galloway says:

Nathanael,

I’m not sure what you mean by “using the Desktop/iOS to UWP bridges”. You can certainly email our support team at support@olivetree.com. They will be happy to look into this question for you.

• Dean Kirby says:

You really need to re-evaluate your MS Windows strategy. As mentioned there are tools from Microsoft to bridge your iOS app to Windows UWP application. And with the recently announced Windows 10 S operating system, your Windows desktop application can not be installed on a Windows 10 S system.

• Joelia says:

These people and their so-called ‘team’ are simply irresponsible. As ealier mentioned by someone here, to create a market for something that ties the end user to you and then back out on them because you can’t or won’t fix the problems associated with that market is the height of irresponsibility.
    And the shame of it all is that they won’t even listen to whatever suggestions and ideas that concerned users are voicing out!

• Wynn Smith says:

It’s my fault. I’m one of the many who caused a Windows Phone sales slump by falling for the false hype about other phones. After spending a year trying the other phones, I’m back on Windows Phone whole-heartedly! I’m productive again. My info is on Live Tiles… No swiping and endless tapping to see basic info. The Windows Phone notification system actually recognizes Bluetooth. Many times I don’t even have to dig my phone out of my pocket to find out what is going on. It tells me privately in my ear. And today I discovered that this Olivetree platform that I’ve invested in isn’t available on the windows store any longer. Well, sorry Olivetree. I’m sticking with the Windows Phone. It just goes to show, choices matter.