How-To: Devotionals in the App

Posted by on 08/28/2017 in:

We have exciting news! You can now use some of our most popular devotionals in the same way you use a reading plan! You can “complete” your readings, set reminders, and more. We want to make sure you get the most out of this new feature, so we’ve written this how-to article to get you going.

WHAT IS A DEVOTIONAL?

First things first—we want to make sure you know what a devotional is and why they are helpful. Devotionals vary quite a bit. Some may walk you through book(s) of the Bible, some may cover a topic, and some may be filled with advice and unique perspectives. Although they differ in content, they all have the same goal: to help you grow spiritually, consistently. Devotionals are divided into smaller chunks so that you can read a little each day and process it.

HOW-TO: DEVOTIONALS

1) UPDATE YOUR DEVICE AND DEVOTIONALS

This feature comes with our most recent update to iOS (6.3). Make sure that your app is up-to-date before you go looking for updated devotionals! Sorry Android devices, this update is coming to your app soon!

Also, check your currently owned devotionals for updates. You can do this by finding the resource in your library. Does it have a little arrow on the cover image? Tap it! Then the resource will update.

One more note: did you just purchase a devotional? Make sure you download it to your library. If you don’t, then it won’t appear in the Reading Plan menu.

2) GO TO READING PLANS

In the main menu, choose Reading Plans. If you own a devotional that is updated with this feature, it will appear at the top of the Reading Plans menu.

3) START READING

Select the devotional you want to read and then tap ‘Start Reading Plan.’ This will create a plan under the ‘My Plans’ tab for you to access later. Now you should see the control menu for your selected reading plan. It will show today’s date, your progress, plan details and options, and related reading plans!  You can tap ‘Start Reading’ to begin your first assignment.

What happens when you finish today’s assignment? A check mark will replace today’s date in the control menu.

4) CUSTOMIZE YOUR PLAN

There are several ways to customize your reading plan that can be found under “Plan Details and Options” in your devotional’s control menu. You can set it as your default plan, set reminders, and choose to either jump into the calendar-day reading or start from the very beginning.

DON’T HAVE A DEVOTIONAL?

Here are some of our most popular devotionals that have been updated to support reading plans!

1. Spurgeon’s Morning and Evening Devotional by Charles Spurgeon
  2. Through the Bible Day by Day: A Devotional Commentary by F.B. Meyer
  3. Year with G. K. Chesterton by G.K. Chesterton
  4. Streams in the Desert: 366 Daily Devotional Readings by L.B. Cowman
  5. Unto the Hills: A Daily Devotional by Billy Graham
  6. Grace For The Moment Daily Bible: Devotional Readings by Max Lucado
  7. A Year with C.S. Lewis by C.S. Lewis
  8. Jesus Calling 52-Week Discussion Guide by Sarah Young
  9. Olive Tree One Year Daily Devotional by Olive Tree
  10. Strength for Today by John MacArthur

• Steve King says:

Hi, as a matter of interest, can the devotional reading plan of the Bible be set to read the reading to you through the audio speakers on the iPhone?

• Annette Askew says:

Hey. I’m excited about your latest update. I updated my IPhone and iPad. I had previously purchased Grace For the Moment Daily Bible: Devotional Readings by Max Lucado. I have it downloaded and in my library but I cannot see it on my reading plans..Help!

• Cierra Klatt says:

Oh no! I did just test this and it worked for me. So, there must be something more specific occurring with your device! Could you email support@olivetree.com? Our great support staff will be able to help you. Also, thanks for your kind words!

• Tamra Yee says:

Hello, thanks for this new option! When shopping for a devotional on your site, will there be an indication in the description whether a devotional has this new feature?

• Cierra Klatt says:

We are working on finding a way to easily update the description of the products… it will eventually look like an icon in the near future! But for right now, we’ve compiled them on this page: https://www.olivetree.com/store/home.php?reading_plans=1

You can also access this page if you are in a category on our store and see the side navigation bar. It reads: “Enhanced with Reading Plans”

• Gene Smith says:

Is there a way to access these in the Windows version?

• Cierra Klatt says:

Sorry, right now this is only available for iOS devices (iPads, iPhones, etc.) but we are working hard to bring this to our other platforms!

• Sam says:

Will this feature be added to the Android version as well?

• Bob Johnston says:

Is there any possibility of customizing your own reading plan? I have interest in two: one, the daily office. I have used the ESV one on my iPad, but I would love to use different versions. The other is thirty days in the Psalms. I have had this discipline for years of reading/praying through the Psalms and believe it would be a great addition.

• Cierra Klatt says:

That’s a great idea, Bob! And it’s good to hear that you have a routine down for reading God’s Word. At this time, personalized reading plans are not an option. But we will take note of your request!

• Lance Wilcox says:

Love the idea of this. And it works great on my iPhone. Unfortunately, when I create a devotional plan it crashes my Mac app. I can’t open my Reading Plans tab without the entire app crashing. I reinstall and it crashes again. Finally deleted the reading plan from my iPhone, synced, reset everything on the Mac app, and the app no longer crashes.