08/28/2017 in: App Tipson
We have exciting news! You can now use some of our most popular devotionals in the same way you use a reading plan! You can “complete” your readings, set reminders, and more. We want to make sure you get the most out of this new feature, so we’ve written this how-to article to get you going.
WHAT IS A DEVOTIONAL?
First things first—we want to make sure you know what a devotional is and why they are helpful. Devotionals vary quite a bit. Some may walk you through book(s) of the Bible, some may cover a topic, and some may be filled with advice and unique perspectives. Although they differ in content, they all have the same goal: to help you grow spiritually, consistently. Devotionals are divided into smaller chunks so that you can read a little each day and process it.
1) UPDATE YOUR DEVICE AND DEVOTIONALS
This feature comes with our most recent update to iOS (6.3). Make sure that your app is up-to-date before you go looking for updated devotionals! Sorry Android devices, this update is coming to your app soon!
Also, check your currently owned devotionals for updates. You can do this by finding the resource in your library. Does it have a little arrow on the cover image? Tap it! Then the resource will update.
One more note: did you just purchase a devotional? Make sure you download it to your library. If you don’t, then it won’t appear in the Reading Plan menu.
2) GO TO READING PLANS
3) START READING
Select the devotional you want to read and then tap ‘Start Reading Plan.’ This will create a plan under the ‘My Plans’ tab for you to access later. Now you should see the control menu for your selected reading plan. It will show today’s date, your progress, plan details and options, and related reading plans! You can tap ‘Start Reading’ to begin your first assignment.
What happens when you finish today’s assignment? A check mark will replace today’s date in the control menu.
4) CUSTOMIZE YOUR PLAN
There are several ways to customize your reading plan that can be found under “Plan Details and Options” in your devotional’s control menu. You can set it as your default plan, set reminders, and choose to either jump into the calendar-day reading or start from the very beginning.
DON’T HAVE A DEVOTIONAL?
Here are some of our most popular devotionals that have been updated to support reading plans!
- Spurgeon’s Morning and Evening Devotional by Charles Spurgeon
- Through the Bible Day by Day: A Devotional Commentary by F.B. Meyer
- Year with G. K. Chesterton by G.K. Chesterton
- Streams in the Desert: 366 Daily Devotional Readings by L.B. Cowman
- Unto the Hills: A Daily Devotional by Billy Graham
- Grace For The Moment Daily Bible: Devotional Readings by Max Lucado
- A Year with C.S. Lewis by C.S. Lewis
- Jesus Calling 52-Week Discussion Guide by Sarah Young
- Olive Tree One Year Daily Devotional by Olive Tree
- Strength for Today by John MacArthur