A SOAP Study on Matthew 12

Posted by on 10/02/2017 in: ,

What’s a SOAP study? SOAP is an acronym, meaning: Scripture, observation, application, and prayer. This is one, very helpful way to get more out of your Bible study time. Join us in this short study of Matthew 12:1-14!

SCRIPTURE

Matthew 12:1-14, NIV

At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them. When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, “Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath.”

He answered, “Haven’t you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? He entered the house of God, and he and his companions ate the consecrated bread—which was not lawful for them to do, but only for the priests. Or haven’t you read in the Law that the priests on Sabbath duty in the temple desecrate the Sabbath and yet are innocent? I tell you that something greater than the temple is here. If you had known what these words mean, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the innocent. For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.”

Going on from that place, he went into their synagogue, and a man with a shriveled hand was there. Looking for a reason to bring charges against Jesus, they asked him, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”

He said to them, “If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? How much more valuable is a person than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.”

Then he said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” So he stretched it out and it was completely restored, just as sound as the other. But the Pharisees went out and plotted how they might kill Jesus.

OBSERVATION

Taken from the Gospel Transformation Bible Notes

Matthew gives two examples of how Jesus’ yoke is easy and his burden light (11:30). In both examples, Jesus opposes the Pharisees’ imposition on others of their burdensome way of observing the fourth commandment (Ex. 20:8–11; Deut. 5:12–15). The purpose of the Sabbath law was to show mercy to human beings and their farm animals by mandating regular rest from the hard labor of agrarian life (Matt. 12:8; Ex. 23:12). If its “observance” somehow made hungry people more miserable by forbidding them from obtaining food, or required a disabled person to remain disabled longer than necessary, then the purpose of the law itself had been violated (Matt. 12:7, 12; Hos. 6:6; Mic. 6:6–8).

APPLICATION

Taken from the Gospel Transformation Bible Notes

Christians of every age and culture have formulated ideas about how the moral teaching of Scripture should be obeyed in their own time and place. Often these ideas become translated into rules for avoiding temptation in basic areas where Christians must interact with a non-Christian culture, whether over clothing, food, speech, or entertainment. Matthew 12:1–14 cautions believers as they engage in such rule-making to understand what they are doing: they are not formulating authoritative Scripture but giving fallible human advice, however prudent (5:29–30; 18:8–9), on how best to obey Scripture in particular circumstances. Whenever the tendency of these rules hinders the basic concern of Scripture for mercy, justice, and kindness, the rules have themselves become a hindrance to obeying God and need to be set aside.

PRAYER

Have you ever struggled with this, putting rules before mercy, justice, and kindness? Take some time today to think and pray about this. Ask Jesus how he would like you to respond.

LEARN MORE

This content was taken directly out of the Gospel Transformation Bible Notes. You, too, can do quick, easy, and formative Bible studies with these notes—and they are currently only $15 (normally $50!). Visit our website to find out more.

• Neil says:

I really like this; but, the last sentence of the ‘Application’ section would be immeasurably improved by substituting the word, GRACE for the word, “justice”.
    Were we to be dealt with on the basis of “justice”, then None could escape judgement. “But God…” (Eph 2) out of His great love, chose to deal with us on the basis of Love and GRACE. Hallelujah!
    Thank you for this beautiful teaching/study.
    Neil

• Gina says:

An exciting resource! The format is easy to follow and easy to read with plenty of references for additional reading. I ordered my copy.

• Roger says:

Neil,

I love that I am saved by grace. While using ‘Grace’ in place for ‘Justice’ could add meaning to some readers, I think it could also remove tremendous meaning and comfort for others.

There are so many examples right now in western culture and around the world where people are looking for justice. – minorities, refugees, the stateless, those living in dictatorships, the poor, the oppressed…these people desperately need justice!

One of the cornerstones of Jesus’ ministry included bringing justice to the oppressed and stood in opposition to the Romans and the religious lawmakers who in their own ways we oppressing the Jewish people.

When I read the commentary, I think that when you practice real ‘mercy, justice, and kindness’ than it is inevitable that it will lead you to practice grace. I read it as Jesus demonstrating the practical steps that he wanted His disciples to practice. It was easier for Him to say ‘be kind, be just, be merciful’ and have a chance of humans knowing what that means before saying ‘be graceful’ and the same group having a clue what He truly meant.

I suppose I look at it this way as well. (I’m working through this, so I might have overlooked something…) God proclaims Himself to be love, just, kind, merciful, righteous, truth, holy, spirit, all knowing, all powerful, ever-present, faithful, never changing… these are His core characteristics. He doesn’t state that He is ‘graceful’ as part of His character, but it is also clear that grace is one of, if not His greatest work.

So, is grace a product of God’s character?
    Since we do not share all of God’s characteristics, can we practice an imperfect grace in our lives by striving to be merciful, just and kind?
    How do the rules I may value look in the light of mercy, justice and kindness? Does that change in light of my concept of grace?

Like I said, I’m working through this. your comments got me thinking on this subject and I just wanted to share my perspective and where I was at in working through all of this.

Roger

• John B says:

Roger

You asked and answered your own question:

So, is grace a product of God’s character?

Grace is the product of love, kindness & justice:

Ephesians 2:8 KJV
      [8] For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

The Gift of God was Jesus Christ who demonstrated all the love, kindness and justice with Grace at the Cross.

• Chris says:

Justice is a loaded word. When I saw the word, I assumed you were speaking of God’s justice on sinners. This is what the Pharisees insisted on for the women caught in adultery. Had Jesus given her justice, he would have thrown the first stone. Instead he gave her grace.

The way the word it is being used in this passage is “Social Justice”. I did not realize this until after reading the comments. The word Grace, I think, has more meaning for the passage.