A God Who is Everywhere: Omnipresence

Posted by on 12/06/2017 in:

Our God is not bound by space and time. This characteristic is called “omnipresence.” Although it is described in the Bible, the word “omnipresence” or “omnipresent” won’t be found in there. So, how do you learn what the Bible has to say about this characteristic of God?

WHAT IS OMNIPRESENCE?

Our God is omnipresent. Systematic theologians use this term frequently when discussing God’s incommunicable attributes—the attributes that we, humans, can never participate in. We can be loving like God to an extent. We can be holy like God to an extent. But we cannot become omnipresent.

That means, it can be difficult for us to comprehend God’s omnipresence. We can try our best to describe it… but in the end, it’s a concept that we cannot fully-communicate: hence, incommunicable.

Thankfully, the Bible gives us lots of great examples! I grabbed all the verses from the Olive Tree Bible Threads resource that refer to omnipresence for you to read.

VERSES ABOUT GOD’S OMNIPRESENCE

But will God really dwell on earth? The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. — 1 Kings 8:27

May he send you help from the sanctuary
and grant you support from Zion.
— Psalm 20:2

You have searched me, Lord,
and you know me.
—Psalm 139:1

Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
—Psalm 139:7

This is what the Lord says:
“Heaven is my throne,
and the earth is my footstool.
Where is the house you will build for me?
—Isaiah 66:1

“Am I only a God nearby, ”
declares the Lord,
“and not a God far away?
Who can hide in secret places
so that I cannot see them?”
declares the Lord.
“Do not I fill heaven and earth?”declares the Lord.
—Jeremiah 23:23-24

This, then, is how you should pray:
“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name…”
—Matthew 6:9

‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’ — Acts 17:28

The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. — Hebrews 1:3

OLIVE TREE BIBLE THREADS

How did I quickly gather these verses? Olive Tree Bible Threads contains large, searchable lists. Just tap to see all the verses in the Bible that reference the topic you’re interested in.

Also, while reading your Bible, you can open up the Olive Tree Bible Threads in the Resource Guide. That way, you can quickly read verses related to the passage you are in. This is a great tool for learning to read the Bible as one, cohesive book. You will be able to make connections across Scripture and grow in your understanding of God.

LEARN MORE

Do your own study on a topic in the Bible by adding the Olive Tree Bible Threads to your library! Check out our website for more information.

• Jim Meek says:

Only two of these verses are about God’s omnipresence: 1 Kings 8:27; Jer 22:23–24. Saying that God is “in heaven” doesn’t by itself imply he is also present elsewhere. Ps 139:7 simply says he is inescapable, not that he is always present with a person. Isa 66:1 suggests only that it is not possible to build a house for God, but it does not say why, whether that is because the omnipresent God could not be contained in one, because it is impossible to build one that would be fitting, or for some other reason. Those who use a tool like this should evaluate carefully each reference for themselves and not simply assume each is relevant.

• Muril says:

Thank you Jim. I was thinking the same thing!

• JC says:

It’s about interpretation. Perhaps your own or perhaps the Spirit’s.

• David BROWN says:

As believers there are thing on which we can disagree and those on which we must part based on our interpretation of scripture. I believe the example is merely to highlight God’s presence and the useful tool in the app. I would respectfully suggest we not judge so harshly unless it is righteous judgement led by the spirit. I see no harm in the examples given, they don’t mislead nor do they misinform about who and what our God is. The obloigation and weight on those that teach is heavy enough for the righteous. Hold one another accountable when contradictions or misinformation results, but love proceeds even this.

• Kyle says:

Thanks Jim

• It seems the text of Psalm 139:7, when it states ‘Where can I flee from Your presence?’, implies there is nowhere David can go where he is not still in the presence of God. I do not see that this would at all imply that God is simply following him, nor that He can simply find David whenever He wants. And, I must say, if read in context, the implication is that God is absolute, hence the inference of omnipresence.

While I can see your perspective, I do not think the case is so absolute either way. But from my simple understanding I could not fault someone for seeing this verse as a reference to God’s omnipresence.

• Dr. Mike Parsons says:

I tend to agree with the above. However, I believe the intent is to provide an example on the use of the Olive Tree search tool. Interpretation is a matter of observation, word study, and hermeneutics. Regardless of how you interpret, the omnipresence of God is simply unfathomable.

• Samuel Kwasi says:

I am amazed

• Caroline says:

This is wonderful

• Helen pediou says:

Thank you so much . I am a true believer in my Heavenly Father it is my wish to study the bible . Many blessing Malcolm thank you for your time to learn more.