Here’s how to get the most out of The Bible Study App by learning about its powerful features and how they can work for you.
Have you ever thought about preaching or leading a Bible study from your iPad or mobile device? What about preparing a study on that same device? If the answer is yes, then this is a video you’ll want to watch.
In this video Olive Tree employee LaRosa Johnson shows you how to use the Olive Tree Bible Study app to do, what he likes to call, advanced Bible study. LaRosa will walk you through the steps of studying the Bible and taking notes using the same steps that he uses when he is getting ready to preach a sermon. After watching this video you’ll be equipped with the tools you need to do in-depth Bible study using the Bible Study app, whether you’re preaching or doing it for personal study.
We are excited to release this latest update (iOS 6 &7) after over two years of hard work! You may say, “but I don’t see anything new,” which for many of you means we did our job right! We have completely rewritten our core software that displays the text you see on screen. This means you will need to re-download all your titles. Why? Besides having a cleaner text layout we want to bring you brand new tools for studying the Bible. Many of these were not possible with our older technology, but are now a very near reality!
Here are a few things of note:
- The first time you use the app, it may feel a little sluggish. This is because we are updating all of your notes, bookmarks, and highlights in the background to the new format. If you have a lot of them this may take a few minutes. (Remember, patience is a virtue)
- Users with lots of annotations may see a slow initial start up
- Re-download all of your titles. Because of the new text display layout, we’ve re-designed the text layout of several favorite Bible study resources.
Watch short preview of the version 5.9 Bible Study App for iOS devices.
New text display:
- Text wraps around images, charts, and tables eliminating all the blank space around them
- Beautiful new layout for your Bible study tools such as: Study Bibles, illustrated Bible handbooks and atlases
Here’s one example from Archaeological Study Bible Notes
What it means for the future:
- We’ll be able to support more language fonts like Korean, Japanese, Russian, and more!
- Greek Interlinears!
- Enables us to do things like dynamic timelines and flashcards (memorization aids)
- Enables multi-media like video and audio resources
What’s this mean for Android and our desktop apps?
We are hard at work to bring the same update to our other platforms that we have done with iPhone & iPad. We hope to see this technology on Android, PC, and Mac very soon!
A Bible Concordance is an alphabetical list that shows where specific words appear in the Bible.
In The Bible Study App you can use a concordance as a standalone resource or access it by looking up a word in the Bible text you’re reading.
Watch the video below to see how they work in the App!
If you’re new to The Bible Study App, you might be asking yourself “where do I start?” Here’s Nine Quick Tips & Refreshers to get you started in The Bible Study App. (Screenshots taken from an iPad. Please note that icon graphics vary somewhat across devices). 1. The “Library” Button: This is where you can find all of the Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, and other resources you’ve downloaded to your devices. You can choose from All, Recent, or Favorites.
2. “My Stuff” Suitcase Button is the central nervous system of The Bible Study App. Here you can find your notes, bookmarks, highlights, tags, reading plans, and the ever important Sync button at the bottom left. If you haven’t already done so, Click here to create an Olive Tree Account. I can’t go into great detail here, but there are enormous benefits to creating an Olive Tree Account. It’s Free and will only take a minute to set up.
3.“History” Button: Do you ever get three verses into a Bible study and want to refer back to a previous verse? The History Button is the fastest way to refer back to a previous reference. You can view by date or by title.
4. Settings Button is where you can quickly customize the type and size of your font. For a more customized Bible Study App experience, you can then click the “Advanced Settings” for an array of other custom settings (social network, posting, custom iOS gestures, etc) within The Bible Study App.
5. Search Button: Search anything within the resource you are currently studying. In your Bible, you can even limit your search to the Old Testament, New Testament, or create a custom filter or range that you define.
7. The Split Window Button: You don’t have to switch back and forth to view different resources. With the Split Window Button, you can view your Bible and your favorite commentary at the same time. Also, our built in Resource Guide in the split window follows along, looking in your library for any information that is relevant to your reading. As you scroll or change scripture references the Resource Guide will stay in sync looking to all of your study resources making for a powerful and easy to use study tool.
8. The Sync option: I have a terrible memory, but thanks to The Bible Study App, I’m able to overcome it…mostly. I do my daily Bible Reading in the App and Olive Tree’s Automatic Background Sync takes care of it. This allows me to go into my other devices to access and keep up with my Reading Plan. The Bible is able to sink into my daily life and I can refer back to that morning’s reading from wherever I am – on the go with my phone, on laptop at work, at coffee shops on my iPad, or at home on my desktop. Because of the Bible Study App Sync function, all of my custom highlights, tags, and bookmarks are always readily available. With Olive Tree’s Automatic Background Sync, I don’t have worry about whether or not my notes, highlights, bookmarks, and book ribbons are up to date.
9. Download The Bible Study App to every device you own. I personally have an iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, Windows Laptop, and Windows desktop. The advantage to having the App on your devices is that with an Olive Tree Account (have you created one yet?) you can access your entire library from wherever you study the Bible. Obviously, I’m a big fan of the form and function of the Olive Tree Bible Study App. What are your top features of The Bible Study App? Where would you advise a new user to start? I would love your feedback.
Over the years I’ve read some great books by various Christian authors on a wide range of topics. One thing that many of the different devotional and theological books have in common is that they all quote Scripture – a lot of Scripture. That’s a good thing but in cases where the Scripture isn’t copied into the main text of the book it can be distracting. You either have to look in the appendix or have your Bible nearby to look up the verse that the author references. Often times I’ll tell myself that I’ll go back and look up the verse later but… that doesn’t always happen.
One of the things that makes The Bible Study App a great eReader is that nearly every scripture reference in an eBook becomes a hyperlink.
Tapping a scripture reference (clicking for PC and Mac) will then popup the scripture reference in your preferred translation for easy reading. Not only that but you can interact with scripture reference by easily scrolling or adding a note based off of what you were just reading in your book.
Olive Tree has a good selection of books available and in the coming months will be adding lots more new titles making The Bible Study App your go-to app for reading, study and devotion.
There are some great benefits to having an Olive Tree account!
With a free account you can sync reading plans, highlights, notes, and more between any of your other devices that have The Bible Study App installed. An account also allows you to access to any of your free or previously purchased study titles on any device.
Not only are all of these things accessible between devices but with an Olive Tree account you can also browse the great titles on www.OliveTree.com and add them to your account. Once a title is purchased online it then becomes available for download on any of your devices.
To signup for an account go HERE!
To access your current account information online (see below) go HERE to sign-in.