Posts tagged features
If you’re new to The Bible Study App, you might be asking yourself “where do I start?” Here’s Nine Quick Tips to get you started in The Bible Study App. (Screenshots taken from an iPad. Please note that icon graphics vary somewhat across devices).
1. The “Library” Button: This is where you can find all of the Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, and other resources you’ve downloaded to your devices. You can choose from All, Recent, or Favorites.
2. “My Stuff” Suitcase Button is the central nervous system of The Bible Study App. Here you can find your notes, bookmarks, highlights, tags, reading plans, and the ever important Sync button at the bottom left. If you haven’t already done so, Click here to create an Olive Tree Account. I can’t go into great detail here, but there are enormous benefits to creating an Olive Tree Account. It’s Free and will only take a minute to set up.
3.“History” Button: Do you ever get three verses into a Bible study and want to refer back to a previous verse? The History Button is the fastest way to refer back to a previous reference. You can view by date or by title.
4. Settings Button is where you can quickly customize the type and size of your font. For a more customized Bible Study App experience, you can then click the “Advanced Settings” for an array of other custom settings (social network, posting, custom iOS gestures, etc) within The Bible Study App.
5. Search Button: Search anything within the resource you are currently studying. In your Bible, you can even limit your search to the Old Testament, New Testament, or create a custom filter or range that you define.
7. The Split Window Button: You don’t have to switch back and forth to view different resources. With the Split Window Button, you can view your Bible and your favorite commentary at the same time. Also, our built in Resource Guide in the split window follows along, looking in your library for any information that is relevant to your reading. As you scroll or change scripture references the Resource Guide will stay in sync looking to all of your study resources making for a powerful and easy to use study tool.
8. The Sync option: I have a terrible memory, but thanks to The Bible Study App, I’m able to overcome it…mostly. I do my daily Bible Reading in the App and click sync when I’m done. This allows me to go into my other devices to access and keep up with my Reading Plan. The Bible is able to sink into my daily life and I can refer back to that morning’s reading from wherever I am – on the go with my phone, on laptop at work, at coffee shops on my iPad, or at home on my desktop. Because of the Bible Study App Sync function, all of my custom highlights, tags, and bookmarks are always readily available. With Olive Tree’s Automatic Background Sync, I don’t have worry about whether or not my notes, highlights, bookmarks, and book ribbons are up to date.
9. Download The Bible Study App to every device you own. I personally have an iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, Windows Laptop, and Windows desktop. The advantage to having the App on your devices is that with an Olive Tree Account (have you created one yet?) you can access your entire library from wherever you study the Bible.
Obviously, I’m a big fan of the form and function of the Olive Tree Bible Study App. What are your top features of The Bible Study App? Where would you advise a new user to start? I would love your feedback.
The newest version of The Bible Study App (5.5) for iOS devices has three great new features that are coming soon!
Updated: The 5.5 update will be compatible with the newly released iOS 7. Also, keep an eye out for new iOS 7 redesign in an upcoming release.
In order to see what books you’ve previously purchased or downloaded you currently have to tap Library>Store>Purchased. Then you’re able to choose which resources you want to download to your iOS device. The 5.5 release now allows you to see your entire Library that is available for download.
In the image below your resources that are ‘greyed’ out are ones that are a part of your library but have not yet been downloaded to your device. To download them simply tap the specific resource.
If you tap the button with 3 dots you’ll also have options to make a particular resource a favorite, view more information, or remove the resource from your device and archive it. If you remove and archive a resource it won’t appear in your Library list on that device but it will still be available for download under Library>Store>Purchased
This feature makes it so so that anytime you purchase a resource from the in-app store or online it will automatically download and install on your iOS device. By default it will be turned off. To turn Automatic Book Downloads on tap Settings>Advanced Settings> Automatic Downloads. You can then choose to turn this feature on.
Now when you start reading an eBook on one iOS device it will sync that location with your other iOS device. For instance if you start reading a book on your iPhone you can continue reading on your iPad at the spot you left off.
The Bible Study App for Windows Desktop, version 5.4.0 has just been released and there are two new features that you should know about!
New Automatic Sync
Now you never have to wonder if that work you did on your PC synced. Automatic sync does just what it says and will always backup your notes, highlights, and bookmarks making them available on any other device that The Bible Study App is installed on. You can check your Sync status easily by looking at the bottom of the split window on the right.
To take advantage of the Automatic Sync feature you will need a free Olive Tree Account. Sign up for one HERE. Once you’ve signed up for an account simply login on The Bible Study App and Automatic Sync will be ready to go.
New Downloadable Reading Plans
In addition to pre-installed reading plans you can now download additional reading plans. To access these, click on the My Stuff button in the split window. Then click Reading Plans> Get More Reading Plans
Click on any of the available reading plans to find out more information. Once you’ve found the one you want click “Install Free Reading Plan”. You’ll then be prompted to give it a name. Now it will be available to start under My Stuff> Reading Plans
Do you have any other questions about this release? Feel free to leave a comment below or contact our Support team!
By Olive Tree Staff: Joe Carter
Here at Olive Tree we’re pretty excited about this latest update to the Bible Study App for the Mac. It’s been some time since our last significant update, so we really wanted to make sure that this update was a special one!
What’s new? Here are just the highlights!
Daily Reading Plans
We now have Daily Reading built into the app, and you can start your reading in the morning on your Mac and finish in the afternoon on your iPad (or PC or Android) and with Olive Tree cloud sync, all of your devices will be up to date on where you are in your Daily Reading!
We’ve started with 60 different plans to help you engage in God’s Word with more on the horizon. We have 5, 10, and 30 day plans – and many that go the entire year (and you don’t have to wait until next January to start – you can start a new plan TODAY!). We’re really excited to make it easy to start a daily habit of spending time in God’s Word!
New Background Sync
Keep all your Notes, Highlights, Bookmarks and Reading Plans in sync across all your devices automatically. With this turned on, you will be kept up to date on all of the above items across all your devices as long as you have internet access!
New Quick Details
Hover your mouse cursor over links in the text to get instant details in a preview screen (Strong’s Numbers, Parsing, and Cross References, as well as alternate translations)
As before, you can click and get pop-up windows for all your links in the text, but now you can also just hover your mouse over links in the text and get a quick view of the content in the left side window of the main page (see screenshot!)
Pro tip here… you can also set another translation of the Bible to show in settings so if you hover over the verse numbers you’ll see that verse in another translation – you can select an alternate translation in your preferences as well, and then tapping the option key on your keyboard will instantly show the alternate translation. You can also hold the command key down and the app will look up whatever word your mouse cursor is over in any installed dictionaries (including the system dictionary, which is the up to date “New Oxford American Dictionary”). This even includes parsed original language texts and Strong’s Bibles. Finally, you can freeze the ‘Quick Details’ view by holding the ‘control’ key (then move your mouse over to the ‘Quick Details’ area to scroll in that view).
The Bible Study App now Automatically Checks for Updated Books and Resources in your Library
If there’s an update to a resource in your library, you’ll see a notification in the left sidebar and you can download the update whenever you choose.
In this release, we’ve included integrated social sharing that allows you to share Bible Verses to your favorite social networks – for our customers running OSX 10.8 and newer.
New Built-In Dictionary Support
Right-click on a word in the Bible Study App to define that word using the built-in dictionary in your Mac. As mentioned above, you can also hover over the word and tap the command key on your Mac to get a dictionary lookup in the Quick View – using built-in dictionaries, as well as dictionaries in your library.
We’re excited about all these improvements as we feel that this update to the Bible Study App will make a real difference in the speed and ease with which you can dig into God’s word with your Mac!
The recent release of the Bible Study App has some great new features. Read on to find out more!
Keep Your Devices In Sync
Did you know that the inspiration for the modern day E-reader was created over 60 years ago? Angela Ruiz Robles, a teacher in Spain, developed a device that proved to be very forward thinking and set the table for the E-readers of today. I wonder if she could ever have imagined how her concept would be influencing the way we read and learn in the 21st century? While E-readers have grown in popularity, the full potential of electronic books is just starting to be realized.
It’s that reality that drives our vision and belief that The Bible Study App by Olive Tree is the most powerful study app available and the best way to read, study, and grow in your understanding of God’s word. So what’s the difference between a regular E-reader and The Bible Study App? Here are the top 4:
1. The Resource Guide
While The Bible Study App is a great E-reader, it goes far beyond just that. The Bible Study App was designed with one purpose in mind; to help you study the Bible. The most obvious demonstration of this is found in The Resource Guide. While you’re reading the Bible, you can open the Resource Guide in the split window to see cross references, study Bible notes, maps, topics and more that are all related to your current reading. As you continue to read, the Resource Guide tracks with you and updates the material to match the Scripture you’re reading and provide a seamless Bible study experience
Do you ever find yourself asking things like, “Where is that verse about the mustard seed?” Instead of flipping through the Bible or searching through an index, you can simply tap on the search icon and type in “mustard seed” and find the verse you looking for. As an added bonus, you can view the verse in each of the gospel accounts and see other search results related to “mustard seed.”
3. Split Window
The split window has many great functions. While reading in the main window, in the split window you can open the Resource Guide, another translation, a study Bible, or even take notes as you read the text. While in church on Sunday you can have your main window open to the passage and take notes in the split window. No more balancing act with a Bible in one hand and a notepad in another, trying to keep everything in place while flipping back and forth. Now your Bible and notes are all easily managed in one hand and your entire study library is accessible where ever you are. You don’t even need an active internet connection!
Another powerful note function is the hyperlink feature. As you enter scripture references in your notes The Bible Study App will detect them and turn them into hyperlinks that will then pop up the text when you tap on them.
4. Reading Plans
The Bible Study App comes with a variety of pre-installed reading plans that range in style, topic, and duration. If you don’t see one that appeals don’t worry, there are even more that you can easily download and install for free. Click here to see how.
With numerous study resources, tons of customization options, the ability to sync between different devices, and much more, we’re confident that you’ll find The Bible Study App to be an essential part of your study and spiritual growth. If you don’t have it yet then go get it here.
We’re passionate about what we do and want you to have the best tool available to help you grow in your understanding of God’s word.